By Carl C Springer
Founder of the Active Club
The first meeting of the Active Club was heald at the Sweet Shop in Aberdeen, Wash., on February 10, 1922. Those present were Paul Arthaud, Ernest Axland, Cal Teman, Pat McNamara, Edgar Jones, and Carl Springer. The latter was named temporary chairman and Ernest Axland temporary secretary.
At the second session in the Washington Hotel of the same city the same group was present along with Carl Morck, Clarence George, Tom O’Hara, Earl Woodland, Gordon Tebb, FK Green, LA Aldrich, Vard Steiglitz, Carl Weathrwax Jr., Dr. Harry Tyo and Frank Partridge. A constitution and by-laws committee was appointed.
The third session was held at the same place. At this time the constitution and by-laws were adopted and the following officers were elected: EC Axland, chairman; Carl C Springer, timekeeper. Several names were presented for an appropriate title for the organization and Carl Morck proposed the word “Active” which was adopted on motion.
Meetings were continued in the same manner until the constitution and by-laws were revised on Jan. 3, 1924. At this time the former titles were dropped in recognition of president, vice-president, and secretary. Carl Springer was named president of the club; Charles J Kalb, vice-president, and Arthur J Spacek, secretary. The constitution recognizing the organization as a national was filed with the secretary of the state on August 20, 1924.
The group was incorporated under the laws of Washington. Hoquiam group No. 2 was granted a charter presented by Herbert Wilson, president of the Aberdeen Club. Montesano became No. 3 as chartered by the present international treasurer, Ed Nattrass, who was the vice-president of the Aberdeen Active Club.
Soon after Elma became No. 4 and Olympia No. 5. During the early days in the organization several activities were entered into by the Aberdeen group. They sponsored joint banquets with the other service clubs and the Chamber of Commerce, helped in establishment of a tourist park and Boy Scout Camp, sponsored a kid’s day, and were active in Near East relief work. Many other smaller tasks were accomplished by the organization.
This includes a general outline of the Active Club up until the time of the first convention held in Montesano, 1925, when the present constitution and by-laws were adopted and new officers elected for the International. A new charter also was received from the secretary of state.
Following this time the rapid expansion of the club started. This history of the organization from this time to the present is generally know to the membership of the international.